I used to
think the great need of the church was for theologians to be filled with the
Spirit; now it is evident that the need for the Spirit filled teachers to be
well grounded in theology is just as great.
Theology,
though a misnomer, is strong in hermeneutics. A lot of what is called
hermeneutics in pentecostal circles is just amplified private interpretation.
One person starts teaching his own interpretation of a thing, say righteousness
for instance, and keeps saying it until it spreads.
That's not
how biblical interpretation works. Righteousness is the ability to stand before
God without the feeling of inferiority or guilt. Fine. That's a good
definition, but Righteousness is also the ability to deny one's self, lose
one's rights, and live for God and for God alone. How about that?
It is not
only right standing. It is standing right. This means that it is not just the
Father saying (1) I am pleased with you; it also is (2) You do only the things that
please me. It is not only Christ's finished works. It is His workmanship.
This means
that it is not just that (1) God has worked some things in me with pleasure;
but that (1) I am working those things out with fear, and with trembling.
So
righteousness is not only what God has made me in Christ; righteousness is also
how I walk with God in Christ. God did not only create me in Christ, He
prepared a path for me beforehand, that I should walk in it.
If I teach
people how to walk with God in Christ, and I have not taught them who they are
in Him, I have not taught righteousness. If I teach people who they are in
Christ, and stop; I have not taught righteousness. If I say "don't teach
dos and don'ts, just teach them who they are in Christ"...I am not talking
about righteousness, I am only presenting my own ideas.
I've heard
people say this and then turn around and say "the Bible has instructions
for right living, we teach right living BUT....
BUT WHAT?
If a
believer does not live right, it does not affect His salvation?
If a believer is not living right, it does not affect what he has been made in Christ?
If a believer is not living right, it does not affect what he has been made in Christ?
My brother,
that is a lie. It is a subtle lie. I urge you to stop believing it. I know many
have preached and taught it. I do; but it is not true.
The Bible
says in 2 Peter 1:9. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to
blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
Does that
sound like an unaffected righteousness?
The Bible
says in Romans 8:13. FOR IF YOU LIVE ACCORDING TO THE FLESH YOU WILL DIE; but
if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
It does NOT
say...guys you cannot die, but just don't live according to the flesh. It
warns....living like this leads to death.
Or can an
unaffected righteousness die?
Say your
righteouness is Christ from today till tomorrow, and nothing is wrong with your
scriptural fact, but something is wrong with your hermeneutics
So let's do
away with the poor one-sided misrepresentation of God's truth and say what the
Bible says, the whole of what the Bible says, and nothing more or less.
We know
there are some who think one sin has destroyed everything God did for us in
Christ and who teach that a believer is righteous until his next sin
That is NOT
true
Must we
therefore now take the opposite extreme and say a believer is righteous no
matter what he does, because he has been made the righteousness of God in
Christ Jesus?
Because that
is also NOT true. The Bible says in 1 John 3:7. Little children, let no one
deceive you. HE WHO PRACTICES RIGHTEOUSNESS IS RIGHTEOUS, just as He is
righteous.
So I used to
think the great need of the church was for theologians to be filled with the
Spirit; now it is evident that the need for the Spirit filled teachers to be
well grounded in theology, is just as great.
Your
education in theology is complete when you know everything the Bible says about
any one thing, and you speak of that reality in the context of the whole truth.
These are the teachers we need today. To this all the apostles gave witness
Talk about
Pauline revelation from now till tomorrow. This is what Paul taught. He taught
righteousness as right standing and standing right. He said "You are
seated with Christ... Walk in Him...Put away lying... Speak the truth". He
said "Don't live like the unsaved. (You have not so learned Christ...
Ephesians 4:20)
John said
(Not tomorrow, or after living right but right...) NOW are we the sons of
God.....EVERYONE that has this hope PURIFIES HIMSELF (1 John 3:1-3)"
Someone
comes along and says "Sir, try hard as I want to, I cannot live
right"
The church
does not need the one who says "If you can't live right, you are not
saved. You are not righteous" filling me with guilt and preparing me to
try harder and end in despair. The church does not need the one who says 'Don't
worry, you are righteous no matter what you do" filling me with impunity
and unrepentance, and preparing me for apostasy.
We need the
one who says "you are righteous so you live right". "But I have
tried to and I'm failing", "Sister, are you righteous?". "Yes
brother, I am", "Does a dog try to bark?" (I mean..no one should
say a dog isn't a dog until it barks. Neither should one say concerning a dog
making cat and chicken sounds...don't worry, that does not affect its dog-ness)
"No
brother. It barks because it's a dog", "Have you been made righteous,
sister?", "Yes, I have!", "Then hallelujah, praise the
Lord! You live right!" The one who keeps saying that until the day dawns
and the Daystar rises in the heart of the listener...
That is the
Lord's faithful workman in these last days, who rightly divides the word of
truth. So invite me to word conferences and camp meetings to laugh in the
Spirit and rejoice in the word....but I tell you, I also am badly in need of a
historical and exegetical seminary education.
Facebook © 2017


No comments:
Post a Comment